National Park-to-Park Highway Route

National Park-to-Park Highway Route
Where we are headed

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 40 - Kings Canyon National Park, but first... Part Two

Off to Kings Canyon.  It's now after lunch time and we're just leaving.  Kings Canyon and Sequoia area adjacent to each other and you can drive through one to another, but we didn't want to take that road that again.

Here are some really large trees from here:


Notice the pickup and how small it is compared to the trees.

Off to the visitor's center.  We stopped in the gift shop for the postcards and other stuff you never use again and then to the restrooms.  Why would I mention restrooms?  Kathie and I went into the ladies room and there were two open "seats."  She started laughing about a sign that was in her area.  I didn't have a sign, so I passed the camera under the door to her.  Here's the sign:


Now you know there must have been a need for the sign.  Go figure!

Not to be outdone, Cassie got some mud on her foot and flip flops and had to take care of it.  I'd do good to get my hands in the sink!


We asked the man behind the counter in the gift shop about what to see with a short amount of time.  He told us about Panorama Point behind the gift shop and about General Grant.  He said the Point  area was a short hike with a few switchbacks and said not to miss the Grant Tree.  Soooo, off to Panorama Point.  Short drive up the hill and then we see the trail.  Straight up!  I decided I could do this and that I was a big girl.  I took my time and stopped when I needed to....frequently!  It was so worth going to visit here!

I really like this photo that Cassie took:


Cassie proved to us how strong she was by holding up a tree and a boulder:


Down the hill was so much easier than going up this one, but so glad I did it!

The march is on to General Grant.  This tree is the 3rd largest in the world and is the Nation's Christmas Tree!


Our official photographer, Cassie, wanted to make sure she properly caught us enjoying this tremendous tree:


Wow!  What a tree!  David Hoffman, David Ellison, Jenny Ellison, Kathie Hoffman

 
 Look how tall it is!


 Kathie and I couldn't control ourselves!  WOW!  What a tree!  What a trip!

Well, we're tired and it's getting late, so we decide to head back to the campground.  But first, we need someone to tell us what these plants are.  We saw fields and fields of them:


It took awhile to get back to dinner, but what a dinner it was!  Two kinds of steak marinade, veggies, etc.  But all too soon it was time for bed and for packing up for the next move.  David and his family are headed back to Huntington Beach, and we're headed to Barstow/Calico and the Mojave Desert the next day.

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)





No comments:

Post a Comment