National Park-to-Park Highway Route

National Park-to-Park Highway Route
Where we are headed

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 22 - Ed and Bunny, West Glacier, and Flowers

We woke to frozen water lines this morning!  It had been a clear night, so the temps dropped below freezing.  I may not use my blow dryer on my hair, but it works wonders on frozen water lines!

I happened to look at the window and saw the owner of the park spraying heavy chemicals on the grass, rvs, and everywhere.  I mentioned it to David who stepped outside.  The odor of the chemicals was terrible.  I have enough trouble breathing without that!  Chrissy is so low to the ground that she would have been covered in chemicals!  We choose to leave in a hurry!  We pulled out and David stopped at the office to complain about what had happened.  Their attitude was kind of "so what?"  We've always enjoyed staying at Glacier Meadows RV Park, but will not go back there again.  No wonder we had such beautiful green meadows.  It's was all chemicals!

Just before we got to the campground, we got a text message from Ed and Bunny.  They had made it to Kalispell at 2:00 a.m. this morning, but they were safe.  I was so glad to hear that!

The drive to San-Suz-Ed Campground at West Glacier is about 45 minutes so we hit the road to here.  We love camping here.  They bake fresh pies every day!  I like lemon so I got a freshly made, home cooked lemon meringue pie!  YUMMY!!!!!! 

When we stayed here a few years back, we met a handicapped young man named Joey and his mother who is a nurse.  I asked about him and learned he had passed away last year.  He was a remarkable young man.  I know the community here misses him. 





We headed into the park and learned that the Going to the Sun Road on this side was open as far as Avalanche Outlook.  On this side you can't see the mountains until you climb higher on the road.  Glad I got my mountain pictures yesterday!

We did stop at Lake McDonald.  It is so clear!  The picture below is actual a view from the top to the bottom!  It's hard to tell it's water at all.


Here's the lake view:


We visited waterfalls and views of the lake.  I"m just sorry we won't see the spectacular mountain views on this trip.

Lazy afternoon....homemade pizza.....lemon pie....watching movie.  We'll take more pictures tomorrow!

I promised flowers, so here goes:

Oregon Grape

Woodland Shooting Star

Glacier Lily

Huckleberry

Heart Leaf Arnica

Cow Parsnip?  White Yarrow?

The flowers are so brilliantly colored! 

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment