National Park-to-Park Highway Route

National Park-to-Park Highway Route
Where we are headed

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 1 - On the road again! And off again!

Weather:  68 degrees and cloudy. 

If we were all betting people, you should have placed the bet on me as to what time we'd leave Birmingham.  David wanted to leave at 6:00 a.m. and I wanted to leave at 8:00 a.m.   We pulled out at 7:30 a.m.  David checked the air in the trailer tires and I walked to McDonald's and bought breakfast.  All the food was in our fridge and too early to cook!  Did notice the fridge wasn't as cool as I thought it might have been.....hmmmm.

I forgot to put a blanket in the truck and David just about froze me and Chrissy to death!  On our "Driving 2 Hours Break" I got a blanket out of the RV and Chrissy and I were just fine after that.  Except for one thing....a HUGE buzzard flew up right in front of the window of the truck on my side.  Wonder what that portends?

At 9:50 a.m., we crossed into Mississippi.  Rather uneventful.  I really like the new Corridor X.  It was great until we crossed into Tennessee.  More on that later!


Chrissy and I were getting along well.  She was asleep!  She decided to wake up and visit her "daddy."  I tried to get her to come back and get on the seat or my lap and she gave me this look:


 It was like "And you wanted what?"

Soon a song is running through my head.  "Ode to Billy Joe" by Bobbie Gentry.  I posted my song question on Facebook.  Got many answers about the song.  Still in my head!


Almost missed the sign and I knew it was coming up!  If it looks a little ghosty, it's because I shot the photo through the windshield and there was my notepad there.  No chance for a second take!

By now we're getting on each other's nerves!  Didn't take long!  LOL  David offered to pull over and have me check my door.  He didn't think it was closed properly.  Didn't fall for that one.

Tennessee - 11:55 a.m.



Knew we were in Memphis when we saw The King on the billboard.

Highway 78 became a nightmare here.  It's well worn from all the traffic over the years. It was like riding a bucking horse.  It thought a couple of times the trailer would unhitch and pass us.  Also thought I wish I'd taken some Dramamine.  It was terrible, but I knew I-40 was coming up fast.

Arkansas:  12:25 p.m.

Almost missed this sign, too!  The shot is actually from the FLIP.  Sorry it's crooked!  LOL

We decided we needed fuel and lunch so we stopped at David's favorite place - Pilot.  Lots of room to park and he loves their coffee.   While he was checking the fridge connections on the outside, a homeless man asked him for $7 for chicken for his family -we were next to KFC.  He got lunch and we had egg salad sandwiches.  Fridge is still cold, but not as cold as it should be.  Hmmmmm....

Back on the road and we on I-40 which isn't too bad yet.  Yet is the operative word.  There are lots of bridges along this stretch and we got to witness the flooding they've had here.  It was tremendous.  Many fields are still flooded.  We did see a yellow crop duster flying over some of the fields where the rice is planted.  Glad the water helped someone.

Before we got to our supposed to be destination in North Little Rock, we saw a sign for Camping World at Exit 161. We decided to pull off and have them check the fridge.  Not good news, but the technician has an idea to hotwire the fridge outside and turn it off inside.  If it worked, we only needed a part.  Problem was, out stuff in the freezer is beginning to thaw.  Turns out we have to stay overnight there in the parking lot.  Great part was another couple was there because there A/C was out.  Sean and Tess were angels!  The let us borrow their cooler to put our food in and Camping World gave us ice for it.  Our steaks were thawing, so we cooked them and the other couple added a salad and veggies.  Had a great time outside!  It was cool and were were in the shade.  At least we had company.

It was cool enough to use the vent fans and we had a great evening!

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment