National Park-to-Park Highway Route

National Park-to-Park Highway Route
Where we are headed

Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 3 - Part 2 - My Afternoon As A Storm Chaser

When we last met, we were along I-40 in Oklahoma and the weather is getting nasty.  Warnings are going off.  I know what county we're in from the road map, but no clear idea of where to go.  It's isolated here!

It's getting darker and darker and I realize we're near a tornado!  By the time I shot these pictures, the weather guys on the radio were saying it was roping out.  Is this what they meant? Look at the center of the picture and you'll see a spindly gray cloud.  It was moving upwards....




I'm still nervous, but it's a little better.  No warnings.  OH, what is that noise?  Another warning!  I look out side my window and see this:


And this:



I actually caught it on video, too, but don't have a strong enough connection to upload it yet.  By this time, I'm telling David I want a bus ticket home.  I was freaked!!!!!

We were about 30 minutes from Oklahoma City when all this happened.  Suddenly the storms cleared and went around us.  Clear skies ahead, right?  No....

It started raining really hard and the sky was a really creepy color.  Then a FULL SUN came out in the middle of it!



It finally stops raining and we drive into Oklahoma City about 8:30 p.m.   Here's the sky from that time:


Pulling into the campground, we heard the storms were over for OKC!  Here's a shot of the last storm:

It has turned off quite cool and windy now and we're safe! Thanks for everyone who kept up with the weather for us on the road and for those who prayed for us!

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment