National Park-to-Park Highway Route

National Park-to-Park Highway Route
Where we are headed

Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 6 - Estes Park, Colorado

Weather:  Extreme wind with gusts to 60 mph!  63 degrees

We're headed to Estes Park where Rocky Mountain National Park is located.  It's the "beginning" of the recreation of the National Park-to-Park Highway Tour.  They began here and so do we.

Remember I told you we had to be careful opening bottles because of the altitude?  You'd think I'D remember.  Getting into the truck I took out the hand sanitizer and there was a volcano coming out of the small tube!  I had sanitizer in my hair, on my glasses, on my clothes, and all over the door.  At least we won't have germs.

Pulled out at 8:37 a.m. and back on I-25.  We're still traveling without an atlas.  I have the GPS and printed directions, but really need an atlas.  We usually get one at WalMart because it has all the locations of Sams and WalMart.  We've been in three stores and haven't found one yet.  We're now in Castle Rock and there is a WalMart so we'll check it out!

Well, no atlas.  This is crazy!  WalMarts are few and far between here.  I can't even find a bookstore with one.  I'll keep looking.


Photos along the way:

Drying her nails?

Missed taking a picture of a sign:  IN CASE OF FLOOD, CLIMB TO SAFETY.

We finally get to Estes Park!

View from campsite:


Did you ever see the movie "The Shining?"  The Stanley Hotel here in Estes Park served as the inspiration for the hotel in the movie.


 Flowers at The Stanley:


On to Rocky Mountain National Park!  We know the road that crosses the mountain is closed.  It's a smaller version of Glacier's Going to the Sun Road.  It's currently blocked by snow.  It should open Memorial Day Weekend. 

We started upward on the road.  There is still a lot of snow here!
Warning sign I didn't pay attention to!

We get to the top and it's snowing!  A little more than 2 miles above sea level.  The snow really wasn't the problem.  The problem was what we were wearing....more like what we weren't wearing - COATS!



Valley below from the summit.

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment