National Park-to-Park Highway Route

National Park-to-Park Highway Route
Where we are headed

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 48 - Where I almost met my Maker

It rained and stormed during the night, but you cannot tell it.  All the moisture was quickly absorbed.  Should rain again this afternoon.

One of my online friends, Liz Fraboni, and her family live here in Albuquerque.  We decided to meet at Petrogylphs National Monument at 11:00 a..m.   We left about 10:15 a.m. because Sir Garmin said it would be about a 30 minute drive.  We noticed the sign for the monument the exit before he wanted us to get off I-40.  We turned early and followed the signs.  I got tired of him telling me "RECALCULATING" that I turned his voice off!  We got there about 10 minutes after we left. 
 

We went to the Visitor's Center to wait for Liz.  We spent some time outside viewing the plants and exhibits:

Red Sumac

No clue.
The partridge family.  Not all the little gray things are rocks.  There were 8 or 9 babies here!


We met a Native American woman selling jewelry just outside.  She gets her shells from Florida!

There were lots of strings of chilies hanging outside. 


Here's David trying them out!

We went inside the center to look at the displays.  The gentleman who talked to us was an older man and seemed very knowledgeable about the area we were going to see.  A ranger came in and asked "Dr." if he was ready to leave.  Doctor?  David asked him what his degree was in. Pediatrics!  I made the comment he seemed to have a lot of patience and he laughed.  He seemed a little embarrassed by his answer!  LOL  We thought maybe it was a geology or anthropology degree!  It was now after 11:00 a.m. and no Liz.  We realized she was probably going straight to the canyon area.  I called her and we met her at the canyon area. 

Here's the mountain we climbed:


Almost to the top!

We made it!!!!  Three really nice Asian guys took our photo for us.  They were on an extended trip, too.  Have fun guys!

Here's Keely with all of Albuquerque at her feet!


Miss Keely!

Here's what we came to see.  The Petroglyphs.



Here's where it gets strange.  I thought it would be more difficult to breath.  Stopped and took my time.  But, I wasn't feeling well.  My balance was off and it caused me to stumble a good bit, so David saved me from falling completely down the hill.  Then I got to seeing "sparkles" in front of my eyes and it was as bright as it had been and I knew the sun was right overhead.  Finally stumbled to the bottom and sat under a covered picnic shed.  More water and I felt a lot better.  Just thought I wasn't going to make it!  I was still a bit wobbly, but okay.

We went to lunch with Liz and Keely at a Chinese restaurant. It was great!  First Chinese we've had since leaving home.  Still a little wobbly, so I didn't eat all my lunch, but did have plenty of water! 

It was time to go....so sad!  Liz and Keely had to head home and we had to go by groceries.  Liz left and we went to the grocery store in the same parking lot as the restaurant.  We didn't buy groceries....the power went out!  So.....back to the campground!

They have a lot of old cars and RVs here in the campground.  Spent a few minutes taking pictures here:


This one is a Hudson with a teardrop trailer.   For more of the photos, visit
http://www.facebook.com/car2nqueen#!/album.php?aid=2002290&id=116600115

Looked like it was going to rain, so everyone took a nap.  No rain, just thunder and lightning. 

After our nap, David decided to do laundry here at the park.  I think I'll keep him!

Trying to decide what's for dinner, looking forward to folding clothes, and getting ready for tomorrow's move. We're off to Tucumcari for a few days on our way home!

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I am the guy who took the picture for you at Petrogylphs National Monument. I finally found your blog after 3 months. See my little album: http://www.davidalism.com/gallery/northern-new-mexico-day-1-2/

    Take care and have fun!

    ReplyDelete