National Park-to-Park Highway Route

National Park-to-Park Highway Route
Where we are headed

Saturday, July 24, 2010

And the lessons learned

With this trip I learned:

I can do things I didn't think I could!  Film a tornado, climb a waterfall walkway, walk a swinging bridge, taste foods I wasn't sure about, get out of the truck more than once to take photos of bears, and spend three days trying to fix an RV fridge and finding it can't be fixed and you get a new one.

When you have troubles, you may get a visit from an angel or you may get new friends.

When opening the pantry door after moving, don't stand directly in front of it in your bare feet.  Things tend to settle during traveling.

Other thing learned about feet:  If you're going to wear beach Crocs without socks, please add sunscreen to your feet.  You'll get an interesting tan if you don't!

You can get along with our spouse 24/7 for weeks at a time.

There are days when you can't get along with yourself!

Take the picture anyway.  You'll always regret the ones you didn't take!

The original National Park-to-Park Highway tour was similar to ours:

They had vehicle breakdowns...so did we.

They got tired of friend chicken dinners....so did we.

They by-passed Zion Canyon because of no road in yet...we by-passed as we'd seen it before.

Many of the group left at Mesa Verde, CO...so did we.  We didn't want to cross Wolf Creek Pass at over 13,000'.

They began running into winter weather...so did we, but at the beginning of the trip.

They didn't not see all of the parks while there...neither did we!  Sometimes it was due to snow.

Not all the parks had good roads.  Ours didn't either....many of the parks were down to one lane roads as they did road construction.

Would we take this trip again?  I don't think so.  Many of the parks are difficult to reach and are one way in and out.  Many take a drive of over any hour just to reach the park from the campground.

Would I visit any of the parks again?  Absolutely!  Ask me my favorite place and it will always be Grand Teton National Park.  Ask me my not favorite park:  Lassen Volcanic.

Park that surprised me?  Mt. Saint Helens.  We were here a couple of years ago and never saw the mountain because of bad weather.  There was also a lot of snow at that time.  This time, we saw it in all it's glory.  It's still difficult to realize how big it is and how much damage it caused 30 years ago.

Funniest moment of the trip:  I was reading my Kindle, and David told me to turn off my book and come eat lunch.

Scariest moment of the trip:  Riding between two tornadoes.

We're already considering our options for a trip next year.  We're thinking of staying in one spot for a month or so and see more of one city/area.  If you could do this, where would you go and why?  Comment here or email me at car2nqueen@gmail.com

See ya down the road!

Jenny :)

1 comment:

  1. Where could we spend a month? Most definitely Yellowstone National Park. It's like a 100 national parks all in one. When we were there 25 years ago (we know, a long time ago), we spent 2 weeks there and felt we had only scratched the surface. Some day......

    ReplyDelete